Friday, February 22, 2013

Volunteering


Experiences through the eyes of volunteers

Resume Builder. It is stated that 73% of employers would hire someone who has volunteer experience over someone who doesn't have any volunteer experience.

Volunteering can change your perspective. When volunteering you find out what your strengths and weaknesses are and how you can make a difference in someone’s life. Also, if you’re volunteering in another country, you tend to learn more about their culture and lifestyles; this broadens your horizon and gives you a better understanding of life.

You can give something back. A smile can go a long way, so you might not see it, but you are actually helping someone immensely. 

When asked what the volunteers liked about their experience, this is what they had to say:

“I liked the fact that I was able to help people who I had never come in contact with and would probably never see again. It gave me the feeling that I was an unsung hero to somebody somewhere.”

“After I did those things I felt I had somehow helped the world-- in a very small way. I felt a sense of fulfillment.”

“I liked the feeling that I was making some small, but significant difference in other people's lives. Giving people unconditional, positive regard often means I get that back in return, which is rather nice!”

“It was a great learning experience I learned new skills and had hands on training in a medical field that I love!”

“Through community support people can really make a difference and that's a good feeling. I like being able to help others and the feeling of accomplishment is great.”

“Satisfaction of knowing that someone's life may be a little better because of what I've done.”

“I enjoy helping people; having an impact on individual lives, and viewing the cumulative results of my efforts.”

“I liked doing things for people and being involved. I like feeling needed and being able to do something for the good of the "community". Our communities are what we make them, if we are involved they have to better than if we were not.”

“There's a sense of unity with volunteer work that's not found anywhere else. It really doesn't matter whether you work alone, or with a large group, as long as you realize the importance of the goals of the organization, and they are important to you.”

If you volunteered, we know you would feel the same way!

Upcoming Event
If you want to have the wonderful feelings like the volunteers from above, Wisconsin Badger Camp has an event coming up on April 20th. It’s our Spring Spruce Up, where we will need some volunteers. Some of the tasks may include: moving beds; painting; clearing trails; cutting wood; cleaning and organizing the camp buildings.  Lunch is included, so come join us for some work and fun at camp!

If you want to volunteer or learn more about volunteering, please call 608-348-9689. We look forward to seeing you on April 20th










No comments:

Post a Comment